At Hitches & Glitches we take sustainability very seriously and know that we could always be doing more to create a sustainable environment. In fact, there’s a lot more we can all be doing around the home to save energy. Read on for more sustainable tips!
- Install aerators on your water taps which reduce water consumption by forcing air into the water flow, without disrupting water pressure
Fit Light Emitting Diodes (LED) lights, they use less energy and last longer than conventional bulbs and produce less heat.
- Switch to high efficiency air conditioners or install energy saving devices — you can reduce your energy consumption by up to 20%.
- You can also reduce your energy costs with exterior landscape shading, which reduces heat radiation and cools the air before it reaches the walls and windows of your home.
- Laying artificial grass such as five-star grass in your garden is an effective way to cut down on water consumption.
- Drawing the curtains in empty rooms will help reduce the heat radiation through your windows and will keep your home cooler.
- Used bath water is ideal to irrigate flowerbeds and also plant indigenous trees and shrubs in your garden which require minimal amounts of water.
- 90% of a washing machine’s energy is used to actually heat the water, so if you wash your clothes at 30-40 °C you’ll reduce your electricity bill. Also never use a washing machine unless you have a full load.
- Unplug all electrical appliances when not in use.
- Fit a dual flush button to your toilet.