We all know that fire in the home, can cause devastating damage and put lives at risk. They can be caused in a variety of ways, but here are a few simple tips you can follow to prevent them starting and spreading:-
- The number one reason for fires in the home is faulty electrical wiring, so get yours regularly checked by a professional company or electrician.
- Fit approved smoke detectors on each floor. Choose a smoke alarm that is mains operated or one with a long life (ten year) battery.
- Never leave a pan unattended when deep fat frying, and watch for overheating. For safer frying, use oven chips or a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer.
- Keep shirts tucked in to trousers or even better wear an apron to stop clothes from being loose enough to catch fire.
- If there are children around, keep matches and lighters well out of reach.
- Don’t smoke in bed or even better, smoke outside. Falling asleep whilst watching TV, reading or sleeping is still a major cause of fire in the home.
- Have a pre-planned escape route and make your family aware of it.
- Remember to get out, stay out and call the fire brigade out!