Fire Safety in the Home

Fire Safety in the Home

We all know that fire in the home, can cause devastating damage and put lives at risk. They can be caused in a variety of ways, but here are a few simple tips you can follow to prevent them starting and spreading:-

  • The number one reason for fires in the home is faulty electrical wiring, so get yours regularly checked by a professional company or electrician.
  • Fit approved smoke detectors on each floor. Choose a smoke alarm that is mains operated or one with a long life (ten year) battery.
  • Never leave a pan unattended when deep fat frying, and watch for overheating. For safer frying, use oven chips or a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer.
  • Keep shirts tucked in to trousers or even better wear an apron to stop clothes from being loose enough to catch fire.
  • If there are children around, keep matches and lighters well out of reach.
  • Don’t smoke in bed or even better, smoke outside. Falling asleep whilst watching TV, reading or sleeping is still a major cause of fire in the home.
  • Have a pre-planned escape route and make your family aware of it.
  • Remember to get out, stay out and call the fire brigade out!